Tuesday, July 3, 2012

First Design Team post up on CropChocolate!


Good morning!  The first challenge CropChocolate gave us was “ombre” and somehow I snagged the color yellow. I’ll be honest, I was a bit bummed at first. Not a color I usually work with, but then I realized I could finally play with the yellow/gray combination I’ve been seeing everywhere. Woo-hoo!  I found I really like yellow and gray with pops of teal or coral, so I used MME’s Lime Twist paper with those gorgeous teal accents.


If you like chevrons and you don’t know how to make them…you’re in luck! They’re quick and easy.
For the ombre ones you’ll need three or four pieces of coordinating cardstock. (The Bazzill trios CC has been selling are perfect for this.) I also had a pale gold scrap laying around which I used that for the lightest layer.


Cut strips two inches wide, by however long you want them, in my case I just did the entire twelve inch length, and used the excess on something else. Once your strips are cut, take one strip and mark it lengthwise down the middle. Then turn it width-wise and mark it every inch.


You can mark all the strips individually or you can be lazy, like I was, and just mark one, then stack the the remaining three neatly underneath and cut through all four strips simultaneously. Starting at the bottom, you cut every other line from the edge of the paper to the lengthwise demarcation. On the top be sure to start cutting one over from the bottom and then alternate every other marking to the center demarcation as well.


Finally you just fold and adhere. I like to use my ATG, but hot glue or quick drying glue would work as well.

I had so much left over, I was able to create a quick little layout for one of my random albums.


As I was folding the strips into chevrons, another method came to me for achieving the look even more easily. It requires a square punch. Simply measure the diagonal line, cut your strip to that width and then punch along the edges. It’s REALLY fast. Here’s a video that shows it in action.



Hope you enjoyed these quick chevron methods. Have fun playing with them!
- Brenna

CC Supplies:
3 shades of yellow bazzill
MME Lime Twist paper
MME Lime Twist titles

Non CC Supplies:
scissors, ruler, adhesive
gray, white and pale yellow cardstock